The 62-year-old businessman and anti-apartheid activist told delegates: ‘With only four people, it is your problem now’
South African Tokyo Sexwale pulled out of the race to become the next president of FIFA on Friday, announcing in mid-speech that he was suspending his campaign with immediate effect.
Sexwale had been seen as the outsider in the five-man race.
“I have got a surprise for you. My campaign ends today and I suspend my participation. With only four people, it is your problem now,” he said, speaking after the other four candidates.
Sexwale had not been backed by his own African confederation, with CAF making public in January its support of Asian confederation president Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim al-Khalifa.
The 62-year-old businessman and anti-apartheid activist earned a standing ovation from the delegates after announcing his withdrawal from the race.
Bahrain’s Sheikh Salman and UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino are the two front-runners for the presidency.
Prince Ali of Jordan and Jerome Champagne are considered outside bets for the job.