Court denies bail for Adams Mahama suspects

The Accra Magistrate’s Court has declined bail for Gregory Afoko and Musah Issah over their alleged roles in the acid attack that claimed the life of Adams Mahama, the Upper East Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP).
Afoko and Musah Issah, a trader, will reappear before the court on June 28, 2015.
Afoko, 50, and Issah are said to have conspired with Asabke Alangdi, still at large, to pour acid on Alhaji Adams Mahama on May 20, 2015.
Afoko has been charged with murder and conspiracy, while Issah is facing a charge of abetment.
Their pleas have not been taken.
The court, presided over by Mr Worlanyo Kotoku, admitted a submission by the prosecution to withdraw its earlier charge sheet and substitute it with a new one.
Issah’s lawyer, Alfred Adjei Mensah Issah, prayed the court to admit his client on bail, pending the determination of the matter, on the grounds that abetment was a bailable offence.
However, the prosecutor, Superintendent of Police Mr Francis Baah, objected to the application, saying Issah could interfere with the conduct of thorough investigations into the case.
“The nature of abetment in this case is abetment of murder; therefore, granting the suspect bail will cause him to interfere with police investigations,” he told the court.
Bad blood
According to the prosecution, in May 2015, Mr Paul Afoko and Kwabena Agyepong, the National Chairman and the General Secretary of the NPP, respectively, embarked on a tour of the Upper East Region and arrived in Bolgatanga on May 14, 2015.
However, the deceased allegedly organised some thugs to attack them, scuttling a planned meeting at the Azumsolom Guest House in Bolgatanga.
The situation was later brought under control by the police.
Gregory Afoko, according to the prosecution, was not impressed with the action taken by Alhaji Mahama and had a serious confrontation with him until he (Gregory) was chased away by thugs.
“Later, Gregory and Alangdi mobilised some youth to form another group, with the sole aim to protect the party executives.
“The suspects and other members had a series of meetings and in the evening of May 20, 2015 the two suspects, armed with a substance in a gallon suspected to be acid, laid ambush at the deceased’s residence,” the prosecution said.
It said Alhaji Mahama returned home about 11pm in his pick-up and as soon as he parked in front of his house, the suspects approached the car and signaled to him to roll down the window.
“He identified the suspects to be his party members and rolled down the glass to talk to them, but suddenly the suspects poured the acid on his head, face and other parts of the body and fled on a motorbike,” the prosecution added.
During investigations, Gregory was arrested and the police later locate Alangdi’s house, who had fled with his wife, leaving behind their baby.
The prosecution stated that a gallon which contained some acid and a plastic cup were retrieved at the scene for forensic examination.
Credit: Daily Graphic

Related Articles

Back to top button