NMCG to close unaccredited training schools in Ashanti
The Nursing and Midwifery Council of Ghana (NMCG) will from January 2015 close down unaccredited nursing training schools in the Ashanti region.
The Council revealed today that only 16 schools in the Ashanti region – both government and private institutions – have accreditation.
Sepaking on Kessben Television’s morning show Adeakye Abia, Mrs Gloria Aduse-Opoku, Ashanti regional officer for NMCG, expressed concern about the patronage at unaccredited nursing schools and slammed those involved in running such institutions.
She noted that students who attend such institutions would not be given license to operate in the country.
Mrs Aduse-Opoku further explained that unaccredited nursing institutions do not follow the approved curriculum of learning and that the lessons are inadequate leading to poorly trained nurses.
She emphasized the gravity of the situation and warned that all unaccredited nursing schools in the Ashanti region would be closed down from January 2015.
The list of accredited nursing and midwifery institutions in Ashanti Region are:
1. KNUST, KUMASI
2. PRESBY UNIVERSITY COLLEGE, AGOGO
3. CHRISTIAN SERVICES UNIVERSITY COLLEGE KUMASI
4. GARDEN CITY UNIVERSITY COLLEGE KUMASI (DIP&BSC)
5. PRESBY NURSING & MIDWIFERY TRAINING COLLEGE AGOGO
6. NURSING & MIDWIFERY TRAINING COLLEGE KUMASI
7. SDA NURSES TRAINING COLLEGE KWADASO
8. PREMIER SCHOOL OF NURSING MOSHIEZONGO KUMASI
9. MIDWIFERY TRAINING SCHOOL ASANTE MAMPONG
10. MIDWIFERY TRAINING SCHOOL MAASE OFFINSO
11. SAMLEE MIDWIFERY TRAINING SCHOOL KUMASI
12. COMMUNITY HEALTH NURSES TRAINING SCHOOL FOMENA
13. HEALTH ASSISTANT TRAINING SCHOOL KOKOFU
14. HEALTH ASSISTANT TRAINING SCHOOL TEPA
15.ENT NURSES TRAINING SCHOOL KUMASI.
By Bliss Benjamin Elom